This superb book tells the story of one of the most historically interesting of all Jaguar D-types – a car that has raced more than any other D-type. The long and varied life of XKD 504 is recounted in full, from its role as a works car used extensively for testing fuel injection, to two seasons of racing throughout Europe with Ecurie Ecosse, to four busy years of national competition in the hands of first Mike Salmon and then Peter Sutcliffe. This book provides fascinating insight into every aspect of this D-type’s history, supported by a fine collection of period photographs. Any Jaguar enthusiast will enjoy this addition to the ‘Great Cars’ series.
- Life as a works car, including its important testing role and two races in 1956.
- Two seasons with Ecurie Ecosse, including sixth place in the 1957 ‘Monzanapolis’, fifth place in the 1958 Goodwood Tourist Trophy and a trip to Sebring.
- In the period 1959–61 Mike Salmon raced XKD 504 45 times, culminating in victory in the Autosport Three Hours at Snetterton.
- Raced through 1962 by Peter Sutcliffe, who crashed heavily in XKD 504’s first outing of 1963.
- This D-type’s active life in historic racing is also covered, including its long period in the ownership of Neil Corner, connoisseur collector and enthusiastic historic racer.
- Nearly 300 period photographs, many previously unpublished, supported by a portfolio of specially commissioned location photography.
The authors: Philip Porter is a Jaguar authority best known for his award-winning E-type books, notably The Definitive History and Ultimate E-type, as well as for running two successful Jaguar clubs, the XK Club and the E-type Club.
For more information about this book and others by the same publisher visit: www.porterpress.co.uk
Jaguar D-type: The Autobiography of XKD 504
Philip Porter and Chas Parker
Published by Porter Press International
Publication Date: September 2015
Standard Edition Jacketed Hardback RRP: £60.00, ISBN: 978-1-907085-25-3, Page extent: 320 pp over 300 photographs, including colour.
About Porter Press: Porter Press International was formed by leading automotive author Philip Porter in 2005. Since then, PPI has become established as a publisher of top class books and bookazines for discerning enthusiasts. PPI is very proud to have worked on books with Sir Stirling Moss, Murray Walker and Martin Brundle. The unrivalled team of PPI authors includes Doug Nye, Ian Wagstaff, Keith Bluemel, Chas Parker, Mike Gould and Philip Porter.
Note: This press release provided by Porter Press.